Zenfolio | Betty Fleet | Sanding, Drilling, Gluing, Nailing -- YES!!

Sanding, Drilling, Gluing, Nailing -- YES!!

January 20, 2017  •  Leave a Comment

Thursday:  I spent about a half-hour in the 'room' today.  I sanded the first 2 pieces of the top rail, realized that I needed to tidy up the place or kill myself from a fall.  There was a lot of sawdust on the floor and it was very slippery.  Still is, actually, but not so much stuff to fall over.

I am still frustrated by the disgusting mess of my Fibre-Op installation which will eventually have to be placed in some sort of cabinet, but will need some protection from the sanding dust in the meantime.  I also have to do the battery replacement when I settle down to it.

The sanding is pretty simple - Tomorrow might be a good day to finish that.  done

==============================================

Step 2 will be drill, nail and glue these pieces on.  I hope I figure that out correctly.  I don't really want to screw and countersink and fill.    done

Step 3 will be to figure out if I have enough narrow pieces to make a border along the top.  This may require some saw work on the leftover pieces.

Step 4 will be to measure, cut, sand and fasten the 2 pieces along the bottom.  This will be fussy.

Step 5 will be varnish and filling the nail holes

============================================== Tools of the Day

 

Friday:  I am impressed with myself.  Today I gathered my tools and set to work and the top rail regardless of my intimidation with figuring out drill and nail sizes to make it work.  I just took a wild shot and it seems ok.  I am disappointed in my joints - I need a better tool or a better strategy.  However, a little filler will help I hope, and who's going to examine them anyway.

These play pads make my physical joints quite happy as I kneel on the floor to do the drilling.

 

 

 

 

Drilling a Lot of Holes

Drilling the holes was an easy job.  I put a piece of softwood underneath and drilled until I felt the drill go through the top piece.  Sometimes the drill continued past the bottom, and past the foam sheet.  I now have several small holes in my hardwood floor. Duh.  I thought of this about 3/4 of the way through the job, and put a second board under the softwood.  Dumb.

Glue Glue.  It is possible to use too much glue. This I discovered on the first glueing, and added a wet cloth to my tool supply.

 

The first 1 pieces are on.  I think this will go ok.  By the end of the day, with several stops to follow the inauguration, I was done....except for a tiny piece between the windows which I forgot about, and which I think ended up in the basement earlier for a sample piece.  Tomorrow.

First 2 are done!


Comments

No comments posted.
Loading...

Keywords
oak woodworking
Archive
January (2) February (10) March April May June July August September October November December
January (2) February (1) March April May June July August September October November December
January February March April May June July August September October November December